Tuesday 26 August 2014

Beautiful Alternatives


Recently, while on a vacation in the
commercial city of Lagos, I walked into a bookshop to get some books I will need
for next quarter of the year. To foil being caught in the snare of ‘on the
sight covetousness’, I drew a list of the needed books. With that, all I had to
do was to pick up the books, pay the storekeeper and take my exit. The plan was
as easy as that until an interesting scene ensued.

My list contains among other carefully selected books a title I
have been so eager to own. As I walked around the commodious room of the bookshop
and scanned inbetween the carefully arranged books on shelves of moderate height, I
discovered the number one book on my list was not available on any of the
shelves. I beckoned to one of the guys working in the store to enquire about the
book, to which he responded ‘it is temporarily out of stock.’ He didn’t stop
there, as a good sales representative; I understood what he was trying to do
when he suggested another title by the same author. ‘O thanks. I need this particular
title’ I politely turned down the offer of a good sales man he was trying to
be. (I would have done the same or even more) This is a good material, you will
like it’ he humorously retorted.’ ‘No, thank you. Let me pay for the ones I
took and go’ I responded. At that point, I understood the guy was trying to cajole
an alternative. And since I am old enough to make some decisions on my own, I
could agree to get the book or turn down his offer. The latter was what I chose
to do.
 The sales rep would definitely have his
reasons for trying to give me a good alternative - perhaps because he wants to
make sales or he wants me get the teachings from the beautiful book of Joseph
Prince. For whatever reason, the alternate book remains a substitute to my
initial plan. I wouldn’t want to trade the lessons and timeless ideas I was expecting
from the book on my list with any other, even if authored by the same
respectable man of God I love reading his books.
My experience in the bookshop reminds me of a story in the Bible
– let my people go scenario in Exodus 8: 1-28. The Lord had a wonderful plan
for the children of Israel and to get it actualized, he instructed them to
leave Egypt for the wilderness and make sacrifice to him. That means the
Egyptians, whom they have served for several years will now miss their
services. Then, Pharaoh, king of Egypt came up with well invented alternatives “Instead
of going through the stress of migrating into the wilderness to sacrifice to
your God, why not stay back and still make sacrifice to your God here?” He
advised Moses, the leader the Lord has chosen for the Israelites.

“If because our land is full of idolatry and immorality, you
can take your people out to sacrifice but please don’t go too far” Pharaoh pleaded
while trying to get another awesome alternative for Moses and his people. Moses
at this point Stood up and said “take a look at me O king. All we want is the
Lord’s best for our life, and to get it, we must not negotiate or think of
alternatives.
The Israelites encounter with pharaoh
gives a helpful synopsis of my message. God was calling them into land flowing
with milk and honey – it’s called the ‘Promised Land.’ He was calling them out
of slavery and anguish into freedom and fulfilment. His plans for them were
such that could open a whole lot of alluring vistas for them and their unborn
generations. And on the other hand is an arch-enemy of progress, Pharaoh,
painting a picture that depicts uncertainty and disaster. After all, a known
devil is better than an unknown angel. Staying here or very close to us will
spare you the menace of travelling a long distance through the wilderness to a
destination unknown. Think about the dangerous animals, beast and mighty
soldiers you will fight on your way?
It’s highly recommended and indeed better to settle here & keep
enjoying cucumber and garlic.

Many times, life presents us with cleverly
devised alternatives which try to compete with God’s plan for our life. We are
faced with ideas that constantly flicker on the screen of our minds, whereas they
are never in synch with God’s plans. The devil is always trying to lure us with
alternatives against God's plan. Most times he designs the alternatives to be
suitably convenient to work with. But in all, no alternatives can better divine
plans for us. The most interesting thing is that every of God's plan has
one or several alternatives readily available to compete for our
attention.  We face stiff competitions
and it requires strong determination and Grace to stick to the best, which is
God's amidst pressure and all seemingly challenges. Remember His words: ‘I know
the plans I have for you, thoughts of good and not of failure...’  If it’s God's, you are always safe, stay in
and say no to alternatives.


I love and cherish your future

Gboluwaga Olaomo.


No comments:

Post a Comment