Sunday 24 May 2015

Parting Words - special feature

My sincere apologies to the faithful readers and followers of this series for the short break in the continuation of the series for the past 4-6weeks. I took a break because I had to concentrate on my Project thesis which took me longer time than I expected. Thank God I’m through and I can sacrifice some part of my time to concluding this series. Let me take it up from Davisbof Hostel, block A Room 3. The room that homed me for the chunk of my 4years undergraduate program in Ilesa. there’s also a bonus insight into the name we gave the powerful organization that changed OSCOED totally.  
Special Feature

Room 3, Davisbof Hostel - Oluwadara Alamu + Tope Badmus   Bisola Adewole

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


‘I don’t know when we’ll see each other again or what the world will be like when we do. We may all have seen many horrible things. But I will think of you every time I need to be reminded that there is beauty and goodness in the friendship.’

Monday, March 14, 2011 was the day I resumed in Ilesa as an undergraduate for my first degree. Mum & Dad had hurriedly dropped me at the garage early that morning before mum rushed to her working place, at around 7:15AM. That historic day, the first person I sighted by the bus was a pretty damsel seated in the front seat of the bus to convey me to Ilesa. I can vividly remember she was on a black skirt and a stripped orange shirt. As a fresh student, I felt she was a medical student going to OAUTH (Wesley Grid Hospital) - with her glasses closely fixed to her eyes; she looked like a nurse under training. Again, the fact that she was not having much load like I have – mattress, books, a desktop computer, stove, pots and a countless number of hangers among other things all packed in four big bags shows that she wasn’t a fresher like myself and finally, the happiness that beamed out of her didn’t reflect any of such going to school in OSCOED – (OSCOED of 2011 anyway) I actually didn’t want to be too forward, I would have moved to the front seat with her, and I felt sitting beside a lady in the front seat when there are other available seats inside the bus might send an amusing signal to Momma who was seeing her first son off to College. Not long after, it became obvious that she reserved the seat for her friend, Tope who later came few minutes before the bus took off. Trust them, as ladies they started to gist and I became the centre of their discussion as soon as the bus mounted the highway. Oluwadara told Tope how mum dropped me and how I shouted like a baby from the bus to call her attention to something and bade her bye. (They told me that much later.)

We got a closer look at ourselves when the bus developed a mechanical fault at Aspro Asphalt Company, Ikire.  We all got off the bus to see if we could offer a hand to the perturbed driver. My own intention was to get a closer glimpse of that environment because of my love for adventures. I picked out my LG phone to start taking pictures. To them, they felt I was forming, they had no idea I was only catching fun and enjoying the sight of the new situation I have found myself for the first time and again, I was getting aroused by my proclivity for journalism. Before I knew it, Tope brought out her phone to take pictures too.

The bus failed to come up and we had to find our ways to Ilesa separately. The next sight of Tope & Oluwadara was hours later after we departed at Aspro. This time it was on the road leading to Davisbof beside Olive Medical Centre. I got to school earlier them and our path crossed on the street and trust a fresh student who is eager to make friends; we initiated one right from that point. The rest is much of a history.

What you just read is the genesis of a timeless friendship. A relationship I so much value like my name. In one word, Oluwadara, Tope and Bisola are epitome of perfect friendship. The fact that we have unreserved access to ourselves makes the relationship more interesting. (Don’t think naughtily, we are saints)

These are friends who unlock me totally. They have the codes to just get me off the too serious realm and unwind. If you think Gboluwaga is always very serious, split it out and ask them. The simple fact is the Gboluwaga you see inside OSCOED is a sharp difference from the Gboluwaga inside room 3.

I remember how I will storm into their room at 11PM to pick up my supper…

I remember how by 8AM I will dash into their room to use their body cream and put on their cologne.

I remember how I will branch in their room in the scorching sun to take garri with milk and kulikuli or epa before coming back at night for my dinner. My 400level days were worst of all; I can count the number of days I prepared food for myself in my room including the day I prepared semo for Tope, Bisola and Oluwadara. (Hunger led me to do that anyway)

I remember how I will have to be so reluctant in paying them for efo, egg and all sorts. In fact, I don’t pay.

I remember how I steal their laundry soaps, detergents, provisions and other things.

…  How we fight before I return their plates, butter, spoons, and anything I borrow from them.

I remember how I will finish my dinner in their room and sleep off only to wake up at 12AM and stagger to my room in the dead of the night.

… How Tope especially could be so tough by using awkward things to beat me because I might just be too naughty. Tope!!! (God will forgive you o)

I just cannot list them all here. But trust me these guys were so much instrumental in my stay on Campus. It is often said that if I’m not in school and it’s not a church service day, check me in room 3 before moving to my own room.

THE BRAND ‘GRAMMATICUS’

After I got the idea of having a group that will disseminate information and at the same time help students develop their spoken English, I went to room 3 to discuss it; here we brainstormed on the name to give this new organization. Initially, ‘Grammaticus’ was not the name coming to my mind. But upon consultations, they rightly advise we don’t go for a common name and so we resulted to Grammaticus. I picked that name from Mr. Ikotun’s history of Education’s class where Spartan elites will send their sons to a school of Grammar to develop their oratory skills. And simply, that’s the meaning of Grammaticus.

 Again when the State Governor, Ogbeni Aregbesola was to meet with some students in Osun tertiary intuitions, the call first came into room3 through Oluwadara and that was a boost to my journalism career as my report from the meeting was published in national newspapers and online platforms.

To friends who made my undergraduate days so productive and fulfilling,

Friends who were so caring and never tired of naughtiness, I wish you all a glorious and powerful future. I value you trio. Little wonder they were the first set of people to welcome me as I left the examination hall on my final exam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Next in the series is Adaramodu Olumide, Adepoju Ibukunoluwa, Odedele Akinkunmi, Komolafe Omowumi & Idoun Oluwaseun . watch out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment